Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Carryover of Unused Foreign Taxes

Question
Hello, quick question I hope. No foreign taxes paid in 2011. 2012 qualified foreign taxes paid, all general category income. Foreign taxes paid = 500. Maximum credit allowed = 300, therefore unused foreign tax to be carried over to 2013 = 200, to be entered on line 10, part III of Form 1116. Correct? Thank-you!

Answer
Shone,

Thanks for your question.

You have correctly stated the treatment of the carryforward.  However, you should be aware that if you claimed the credit directly on Form 1040 or Form 1040-NR without filing Form 1116, you cannot carry back or carry forward any unused foreign tax from that year.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA