Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Dependent

Question
I have a 21 year old son who is a full time college student. He has a part time job on campus where he earned approximately $2,500. I took him to Vegas for his 21st birthday and low and behold he won a video poker jackpot for $4,000 for which he received a w2-G. Am I correct in that I can no longer claim him as a dependent as his earned income is still below but his gross income is now over the limit of I think it is $3,900? Any other advice you can offer for this situation?

Answer
OJ,

Thanks for your question.

No, that is not correct.  The $3,950 (went up this year) income limitation only applies when someone is qualifying as a dependent under the qualifying relative criteria.  Since your son is a full time student under the age of 24, he is your dependent as a qualifying child.  There are no income limitation on a qualifying child.  Obviously, you must pay over half his support in either case.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA