Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Division of 1099c

Question
Hello,
If two unrelated people who file seperately sell a home. One is insolvent the other is not. What is the best legal way to divide the debt ? Can the insolvent person take all the debt when they file taxes? Of does it need to be divided?   Thanks

Answer
Royce,

Thanks for your question.

As a CPA and not an attorney, I can't tell you the "best legal way to divide the debt," but I can guide you through the tax part.

Per the IRS, if the deed does not specify percentages of ownership, it is presumed to be 50-50.  Each person must assume their respective share of the cancellation of debt income.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA