Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/File jointly even if only married for 9 days in 2013?

My husband and I married 12/21/13  which means we were only married for some days last year.  He did not get as many taxes taken out of his check so he knew he would probably owe. I am a performing artist and part time teacher and never owe taxes due my write offs and such. Should we file jointly or separately? Which would be more advantageous to us not owing or owing the least amount of money?

Thanks for your question.

Your filing status is determined by your marital status as of December 31.  Since you were married on that date, you can file married filing separately, or married filing jointly.

Usually, it is advantageous to file a joint return.  However, in some cases, it works out better to file separately.  Basically, you need to calculate the return both ways to determine the best way to go.  

If you file separately, there are some tax advantages that are not available to you.  I don't know what would apply to you but you can't take the earned income credit, child and dependent care credit, adoption credit, or education credits.  In addition, both of you must either take the standard deduction or both must itemize.  85% of any social security benefits would be taxable.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University