Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/File tax returns in 3 states?

Question
My husband  obtained a job working in the Gulf of Mexico (Louisiana) while technically a resident of GA from January-June of last year. This particular job requires you to live at sea.  June, we signed a lease in NY to prepare for his move before our wedding, thus moving his residency to NY technically. All state taxes of course are paid to Louisiana not NY or GA because he did not work there. I understand filing in LA but does he have to file state returns in NY and GA ?

Answer
Bernie,

Thanks for your question.

His LA filing will be as a non-resident.  He should file a GA return as a part year resident, reporting the income he earned (in LA) as a Georgia resident.  He will also need to file as  NY part-year resident for the income earned while a NY resident.  Both states will give him a credit for taxes paid to LA.  

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA