Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/filing a personal loan


My mother cashed in a savings bond and sold stock in order to loan me $50,000.  She received tax forms to file the interest.  However, since she is over 70, she no longer needs to file taxes because she leaves off of less than $25,000 a year. Will giving her a Personal Loan Contract stating the conditions of the loan suffice, or what should we do?

you dont need to do anything with the loan...   the IRS does not care what mom did with the cash.  if you have brother or sisters, you might want to document the loan so they dont accuse you of defrauding mom, but if is just you and everyone knows what she did.. no big deal.    

but she will have to file taxes to report the income/gains on the sale.

did she sell the stock and cash the bond this year? or last? if it was last year, she will or should have already received a 1099 from the brokerage/custodian and also from the bank where she ccashed the savings bonds.  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.