Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Final 1120-S return

Question
I am filing final 1120-S return, Corporation had no income for last 2 years, filed returns showing only expenses for % and bank fees, and taxes. Have some equipment that has been depreciated, and land. How do I properly dispose/distribute the property on the final return? Only one shareholder, no cash, no liabilities (except loans from shareholder). All equipment and land would go to the shareholder. Do I have to do recapture of depreciation if I have only salvage value on the equipment?
Thank you

Answer
Robert,

Thanks for your question.

Two factors involved here.

First, the property should be treated as a liquidating distribution to the shareholder. The distribution will be at fair market value, so the corporation should report the distributions as a deemed sale to the shareholder, recognizing any gain on the distributions.

Second, the shareholder will receive the distributions valued at FMV and treat that as proceeds from the sale of stock, reporting capital gain or loss on the deemed sale of the stock (unless Sec 1244 applies, then report the loss as ordinary up to statutory limits).

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA