Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Income taxes and quit claim

Question
I bought a house in 2006 for $181,000.  I quit claimed it to my brother and myself in January 2011.  We have it up for sale now, and we will have to take a loss of at least $40,000.  Can we direct all the proceeds from the sale to my brother and let him claim a loss on the federal income taxes?  Thank you.

Douglas

Answer
Douglas,

Thanks for your question.

No, the loss must be allocated based on the ownership interests.    You don't mention the use made of the house.  If it was a personal use residence, the loss is not deductible.  If it was a rental, you must reduce the basis for and depreciation allowed.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA