Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/LTD settlement benefits

Question
Hi, John:
Thanks for helping me out with this question. I am getting a lump sum settlement for my LTD benefits that originally were declined. My employer paid for the insurance to cover 50% of my income to be replaced and I purchased another 20%. Will I owe taxes on any part of this settlement when I receive it? Also, I have to give the attorney handling this for me 50%. Is the whole amount they pay taxable to me or just the portion I actually receive? Is the attorney's fee claimable anywhere on my taxes I pay next year?
Thanks again for your assistance in this matter!

Answer
Carol,

Thanks for your question.

The portion of the long term disability payments that came from the part the employer paid are taxable income. It would be the full amount before attorney fees. The portion that you paid is not taxable.

Since some of the income is taxable and some is not, the handling of the attorney fees is somewhat tricky.  Since the attorney fees were related to producing or collecting taxable income, they are deductible on line 23 of Schedule A. Unfortunately, you must itemize deductions and can only deduct the portion of miscellaneous itemized deductions that exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income.

Note that I said "taxable income."  You will have to pro rate the attorney fees between the taxable portion and the non-taxable portion of your LTD payments and deduct only the percentage that applies to the taxable portion.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA