Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Medicare & Supplement Insurance Premiums

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

Are insurance premiums for Medicare and supplement insurance considered as a "medical expense" and are tax deductible?

Thanks so much!

Kathy

ANSWER: Kathy,

Thanks for your question.

Yes, those are considered medical expenses and are deductible medical expenses.  Of course, in order to deduct them your medical expenses must exceed the 7.5% (or 10%) threshold. And you must itemize deductions.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: Thanks so much John, I really appreciate your getting back to me so quickly! I need a little clarity on "threshold" the insurance premiums total $1880 and I may have approx. $300 in "out of pocket" expenses. Is that within the threshold range? Yes, thank you, I always itemize.

My computer did something wierd, because when I clicked "add rating"  (which was a 10)and began to type my message, the page went back to your home page andI couldn't get back to it! :((

Thanks so much again and I'll be very careful not to screw up your rating next time. :)

Kathy

Answer
I couldn't tell you a dollar amount for the threshold.  I presume you are 65 or over.  That means that you can only deduct medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

For example, if your AGI (line 37 of page 1 of the 1040) is $30,000, then 7.5% of that is $2,250.  You could only deduct medical expenses that exceed that amount.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA