Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Personal Income Taxes

On our personal income taxes.

My husband is a firefighter and is required to be at the station for 24 hours.  Can his meals be considered a deductible expense while at the station?  If so, is there a limit/set amount we can claim?  
Also, he has to have his phone readily available to be called for any extra shifts.  Can his phone service be claimed at all?
Thanks for any assistance you can offer :)
Dawn Surguy

Firefighters have a number of tax deductions not generally available to other taxpayers.

The basic local telephone service costs of the first telephone line in your residence are not deductible. However, toll calls from that line are deductible if the calls are business-related. The costs (basic fee and toll calls) of a second line in your home are also deductible if the line is used exclusively for business.  A cell phone would be deductible in this case.

House dues and meal expenses may be deductible. Firefighters are often required to eat their meals at the station house. One court case (Sibla) said that the costs of such meals are nondeductible unless the firefighters: (1) are required to make payments to a common mess fund as a condition of employment, and (2) must pay whether or not they are at the station house to eat the meals.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University