Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Property for rent not ready yet... lots of expenses

Question
Dear John,

I own a townhouse that's been empty since 2011. I've been repairing it as time permits b/c I have a tight schedule among work, my other property, family, etc. I'd lived in it since 1992, so quite a few things gave up in the last 2 years, and needed to be fixed. The fact is that I have a pile of receipts for the repair expenses, but haven't been able to get it ready and rent it yet.

How can I declare these "repair for rent" expenses in my income tax if I don't have actual rental income in 2013?

Is there a way to declare the expenses incurred in the previous years 2011 and 2012 in my 2013 income tax?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Richard

Answer
Richard,

Thanks for your question.

Since this is basically a rehab to prepare it for rental the expenses you have incurred should  be capitalized, added to basis, and depreciated.

Any items that might be expense can only be deducted in the year paid.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA