Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Regarding IRS K1

Question
Myself, my wife. My brother and his wife just bought a house together last year. We filed for a w9 through the mortgage papers and now that we are doing are taxes our tax person is wanting to do a K1. Do we have to do a K1? Pros and cons?

Thanks

Danny

Answer
Danny,

Thanks for your question.

It depends on how you are owning this house and if it is rental property or your residence.

If it is your residence, there is no way a K-1 should be issued.

If it is a rental, a K-1 is required if it is being held as an LLC, S-Corp, or Partnership. If it is just held in your separate names is is not a business, but simply joint ownership and no K-1 should be issued.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA