Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Special Depreciation for Rental property

Question
Hello,

My brother and I purchased a rental property this year.  Can my brother claim the property alone?  I don't need it since I have another.

Can Special depreciation be claimed or section 179?  The property was in October and we are looking to maximize on depreciation.

Since the property minus the land was 61900, using the MACRS this would allow for 61900/27.5 years, divided by 12 and then multiplied times 3.  Is this the correct calc, then would the special depreciation allow for an extra 50 percent of that?

Would love to be able to take the 25 from section 179.

Answer
Tehany,

Thanks for your question.

You must report your share on your return.  It has to do with the at-risk rules.  In other words, if he is not 100% at risk for loss of the property, he can't deduct 100% of the losses. Since you are a co-owner, he cannot be 100% at risk.

Sec 179 is not available for real property.  Bonus depreciation was not available for that either, but it has expired as of Dec 31, 2013 and is not available for any assets.

Since you can't take 179 or bonus depreciation that would be the correct calculation.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA