Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/W-9 or W-4

Question
My son, a recent college grad, has started a part time job at an hourly wage ...He expects to earn only approximately $500 over the next several months from his employment in a local store..The employer has asked him to fill out a W-9 form....I expected the employer to ask for a completed W-4 form...Is the employer making a mistake that could be to my son's detriment?

Answer
w9 means then intend to pay him on 1099 (which is likely wrong).

see form S8 (ssss as in sam eight).

That means they wont take out tax or pay fica.   nor pay unemployment for when they fire him after he complains to labor board :)

son could do job for a while then complain and all hell breaks loose on the guy.  OR tell him that he prepared a w4 and bring it to work and let the guy know he knows what is right.

what is the nature of the job?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa