Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/W-9 or W-4

Question
My adult son has started a part time job ...He expects to earn less than $1000 over the months from his employment in a local store..The employer has asked him to fill out a W-9 form....I expected the employer to ask for a completed W-4 form...Is the employer making a mistake that will be to my son's detriment?

Answer
Bill:

It appears that the employer wants to report your son as an independent contractor not as an employee.  Its that simple, he wants to pay as little taxes as he can possibly get away with paying.  You know and I know that if you son works in his store that you son can not be independent from the owner of the store.  It will be to the determinate of both your son and the owner of the business if he gets caught.  I know I would not fill out a w-9 form for this job.

John

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John L. Tidwell