Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/W2


Hello William. So last week (Monday) I filed my taxes and am expecting a refund. Here's the problem ;yesterday I received another W2 in the mail from an employer I worked for over 3 years ago. I called my ex employer and asked why I had received a W2. Apparently sometime in '13 I received a check for $305. Basically it was back pay from the company. They had been audited and found some of the employees (me) had funds that had not been paid to.

So I called H&R Block and asked them about doing an amendment to my taxes just recently filed. They told me if I don't do the amendment, the IRS can and will find out about the unclaimed income. So, I will be doing an amendment after the 15th of February. However, H&R Block wants $100 to do it. I filed a very simple 1040ez. Can I do the amendment myself? And if so, how difficult would it be?

Thank you, sincerely, Jared C.


You could also try to fly a plane without practice

If you want, get a copy of the 1040x instructions and form from  and see if you can manage

You can also make an appointment at your local irs office

If your income is low enough, they will help you

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.