Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/w4 allowances

Question
Hi. Every year we have gotten a large refund (about 4-5k), and this year maybe even a drop more since we bought a new house (our first) a year ago November. Also we have 7 under 11.
We're in debt now, so I look forward to the refund, but I'd also like to take more home from my pay. My w4 allowance (or dependents, whatever the right terminology) is 9. My wife works at the same place, and her's is 6.

Although our employer is scratching his head ("9 and a big refund?!), and I heard that after 9 something goes to the IRS to notify them, should I just raise my wife's number to 9, or should I push for getting my dependents up, or am I just stuck?

Answer
Scott,

Thanks for your question.

At one time that was the case, the employer had to send the IRS any W-4 claiming 10 or more withholding allowances, but that requirement no longer holds.  You can raise it to whatever you choose.  Also make sure you are listed as married for withholding purposes as it will hold out less than single.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA