Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1120 S

Question
Can an 1120S revoke it's election from being an 1120 S to a full 1120 (corporation) while it is going thru bankrupty YES or NO.

If it can dose that protect the 1120 S sharholders from future and past IRS judgements by throwing it all on the full corporation.

I know the election has to be made  before 3/15 of the current year.

Answer
In a word, no.

No you can't "protect the 1120 S sharholders from future and past IRS judgements by throwing it all on the full corporation" because the tax liability happened in the past and we can't erase the past.

Could you petition the bankruptcy judge to allow the change at the anniversary? Yes, and if you can give good reason, other than WE don't want the stockholders to pay the IRS, he might agree. But again that doesn't change history. That would only change the 2015 tax year issues.

There are tactics and solutions that might be available outside of the bankrupt business to help the individuals, but I don't have enough information to give you any starting points.

Call me.  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Richard Fritzler