Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/filing and tax debt

Question
Hi..
Bad situation..
Filed extension for 2011...fed owed...state return held back
No filing in 2012....
Should I file on time for 2013...or seek to settle all at once?
Should I seek a professional to assess?
Best way to come out of situation?
Thank you!

Answer
Mike,

My recommendation and the requirement from the IRS to get started with any resolution would be to file your late returns. Once the returns prepared (and filed), your situation can be assessed to determine what your options are for any outstanding tax liability as a result of the filed returns.

If you are unsure how to proceed with preparing your back tax returns, a tax professional, such as my firm could help you with getting back into compliance and determining what your options are.

Best regards,
Randall

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Randall Brody, EA, MBA, CCP