Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/filing and tax debt


Bad situation..
Filed extension for 2011...fed owed...state return held back
No filing in 2012....
Should I file on time for 2013...or seek to settle all at once?
Should I seek a professional to assess?
Best way to come out of situation?
Thank you!


My recommendation and the requirement from the IRS to get started with any resolution would be to file your late returns. Once the returns prepared (and filed), your situation can be assessed to determine what your options are for any outstanding tax liability as a result of the filed returns.

If you are unsure how to proceed with preparing your back tax returns, a tax professional, such as my firm could help you with getting back into compliance and determining what your options are.

Best regards,

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Randall Brody, EA, MBA, CCP


Tax Samaritan is a boutique firm specializing in the preparation of taxes and the resolution of tax problems for Americans living abroad, as well as the unique tax issues that apply to taxpayers that are gamblers, teachers, nurses and military.


Get Expert U.S. Tax Preparation Wherever You Live We Built Our Company By Helping People With Their Tax And Financial Goals We can make a difference for you too! Tax Samaritan is a highly specialized boutique firm of Enrolled Agents providing tax solutions and wealth management for U.S. taxpayers with a special focus on assisting Americans living abroad. We strive to make U.S. tax preparation both accessible and easy for our clients. If you’re a U.S. citizen and live abroad, it’s likely that you still need to file a U.S. tax return and we can help make this an easy process for you. Our tax and financial services are very straightforward. We want to help solve your tax and financial issues and enhance your financial situation.

National Association of Enrolled Agents, National Association of Tax Professionals

Enrolled Agent (EA) Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) University of Phoenix: Masters of Business AdministrationCalifornia State University, East Bay: Bachelors of Science, Finance.

Past/Present Clients
We have served thousands of clients worldwide in the last 20+ years.

©2017 All rights reserved.