Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Inequitable distributions from an LLC

Question
I was a 50/50 member in an LLC.  The other member took higher distributions from the LLC than I did.  He has since voluntarily assigned his membership interest to a substitute member.  Can the excess the original member took in distributions be deducted by me as a bad debt expense?

Answer
Bad debt is something entirely different. Bad debt is a write-off of an uncollectable loan. Distributions is not a loan.

I commiserate with you, that you trusted without knowing the facts. You got snookered, are you going to let that happen this year?

50/50 is never as good as it sounds. Giving the decision making power to someone else can be devastating. LLC's tend not to be as good as everyone thinks; You happen to experience one of the OTHER reasons that LLC's aren't good.  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Richard Fritzler