Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/IRA Missed Distribution

For whatever reason my 85 year old mother missed taking her 2013 required IRA minimum distribution.  What does she need to do to avoid any penalty or is there one?  Can she make it up this year or can she just skip the one from last year?
Thank you

i asked you three questions....

you need to reply to them to get a complete (and accurate) answer.

First figure out the reason.

Did broker screw up?

That speaks to if she can get out of penalty

What was the rmd amount?

How much other income beyond social security it did she have?

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).

19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

variety including Summa Cum Laude

I don't disclose or kiss and tell