Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/repayment of wages $800

Hello.  In 2011, my company inadvertantly overpaid me by $800 when they changed from a monthly payment schedule to a bi-weekly pay schedule.  Upon my departure from the company in 2013, they made me pay back that $800 via a check.  My 2013 W2 does NOT reflect the $800 I paid them.  If I deduct this $800 as an itemized deduction on Schedule A, it is subject to the 2% rule, and I would get zero dollars back....which hardly seems fair.

Technically, I should be receiving about $200 back. Section 525 of the IRS code does not make it clear if I HAVE to use schedule A (subjet to the 2% rule), or if I can just reduce my W2 wages by $800 for 2013.  If I reduce my wages by $800, my net benifit to me is $200.  What is the correct way to do this?  Thanks.

Have you contacted the company to determine which W-2 they will be correcting for the error.

One of the w-2's has an error.  They must correct one or the other.  Either the 2011 or the 2013.  I do not believe that you should absorb the cost of your employment by reporting the overpayment on your schedule A.

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John L. Tidwell

Unemployment tax law both state and federal; determination of employer employee relationship; the usual 20 commonlaw factors for making that determination; and what makes me a liable employer.

Over 20 years of field audit experience with a state agency

Degree in Accounting from Falls Business College