Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Schedule D

Question
I was wondering, what all needs to be reported on a schedule D. I'm not sure how to ask it so I'm just going to use an example.
I purchased 100 shares of Stock A during 2013.
I also purchased 500 shares of Stock B in 2013.
towards the end of the year, I sold 25 shares of Stock A and 100 shares of Stock B.
When reporting my gains and losses, do I record the purchase price of the shares I still hold in my possession?
If not, and the gains from the sale of Stock B and the losses from the sale of Stock A combined to have no effect (as in there was a total loss of 200 from the sale of Stock A and a 200 gain from the sale of Stock B, resulting in neither a capital Gain or a Capital Loss), do I still file a Schedule D showing no change?
I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense the way I worded it.

Answer
Brittany:

You only report the shares you sell the per share purchase price and the per share selling price.  The difference between the purchase price and the selling price is either a profit or a loss.  

The share you still hold is not part of the equation only the shares sold.

Hopefully this makes sense to you.

John

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John L. Tidwell