You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/USA tax on foreign income investments


Scenario: I lived & worked in Oman (95-98) and invested $10k of Oman income in a non-USA fund.  I never had to pay USA tax on my Oman income because I was out of the USA for more than 330ish days per year (USA tax limit).  After returning to the USA, I never added money to that overseas fund.  The overseas fund was closed in 2013 by the fund managers (not by my choice) and they sent me the proceeds - about $30k. Do I now need to pay USA tax on the $30k, the $20k growth (30-10), or no tax at all?  Thanks for your assistance.

Hi Frank, did you file income tax returns for the years in question?

To answer your question, at a minimum US tax would be do on the growth, but it sounds like a good possibility that as a foreign mutual fund invested in an overseas brokerage account that your investment is considered a PFIC (see my article on What Is A PFIC? ). As such, significant reporting would have likely been due on an annual basis for your investment.

Best regards,

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Randall Brody, EA, MBA, CCP


Tax Samaritan is a boutique firm specializing in the preparation of taxes and the resolution of tax problems for Americans living abroad, as well as the unique tax issues that apply to taxpayers that are gamblers, teachers, nurses and military.


Get Expert U.S. Tax Preparation Wherever You Live We Built Our Company By Helping People With Their Tax And Financial Goals We can make a difference for you too! Tax Samaritan is a highly specialized boutique firm of Enrolled Agents providing tax solutions and wealth management for U.S. taxpayers with a special focus on assisting Americans living abroad. We strive to make U.S. tax preparation both accessible and easy for our clients. If you’re a U.S. citizen and live abroad, it’s likely that you still need to file a U.S. tax return and we can help make this an easy process for you. Our tax and financial services are very straightforward. We want to help solve your tax and financial issues and enhance your financial situation.

National Association of Enrolled Agents, National Association of Tax Professionals

Enrolled Agent (EA) Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) University of Phoenix: Masters of Business AdministrationCalifornia State University, East Bay: Bachelors of Science, Finance.

Past/Present Clients
We have served thousands of clients worldwide in the last 20+ years.

©2017 All rights reserved.