Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/2013 Self Employed?

Question
Hi, I have a friend that has never filed taxes. She is 24 and in 2013 earned approx $10,000 paid by cash and personal checks from various customers. I believe she has to file as self employed, schedule c or c-ez. She does not have a EIN number. She resides in CT. She owns equipment used for work that was purchased in previous years. (Fyi She has 1099s for years 2008 and 2009 - that i know of -but let's focus on 2014 for now).

I'm thinking to have her file for an extension for 2013 taxes and apply for a EIN #. She will file as self employed schedule c or c-ez. Once 2013 is filed she can then go back and file back taxes for the previous years.

Is this correct?

Answer
She already has a tax id number.

She CAN collect more tax ID numbers, but for what reason? What were thinking a new tax id number would do for her?

The 2013 tax year is done. There is nothing that will change for that year. Even if you got a new tax id number, the money didn't go to the new number, it went to the old number. Bank deposit already done.

If you did get a new EIN, and you can get it on line from the IRS, with no delays it can take as little as 10 minutes. Would that change the way the IRS looks at the tax return? No. It would still be her personal 1040 with an extra attachment (Schedule C).

Just do all the tax returns, she might have a refund from previous years.

Richard.

p.s. If she is going to be profitable from now on, then there are huge things you can do to make this a better situation than doing business as a self employed individual.

Call me.

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Richard Fritzler