Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/personal income taxes

Question
I am an older citizen that is still working full time.  Out of the blue, I was informed that I am going to receive a lump sum payment.  As I have no retirement, I want to protect this as much as possible and pay taxes after I stop working.  Is this possible?  It will be my only retirement income so losing it to 30% taxes at this point would be devastating.

Answer
Eliza,

Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, you can't defer the taxes unless you place the money in a qualified retirement plan.  As an invididual, this would most likely be an IRA, but the limits are only $6,500 per year.  The other alternative is to investigate with your employer if you could put it into a retirement plan through them.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA