Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Reporting wrongful classification of employee/independent contractor

Question
Thank you in advance for reading and considering my question.  When an employer classifies someone working for them as an "independent contractor" when in fact they meet most, if not all requirements for employee status, what are the best ways to report such conduct to a governing agency, as they are avoiding paying taxes, unemployment, workers comp, etc.  For example, the company owner pays for company automobile, auto insurance, health insurance, pays weekly salary, determines how and when individuals are paid.

Answer
Kelli,

Thanks for your question.

If you are the employee involved, you can complete a Form SS-8 and submit it to the IRS for a determination of your status.  Otherwise, you would complete Form 3949-A and submit it to the IRS.  Addresses for both forms are included with the instructions.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA