Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Roth IRA Conversion

Question
Greetings William,
 I am interested in converting my rollover Traditional IRA of $42,000 to a Roth IRA.  What is the best way to reduce my tax burden?  I waited until this year because I am in my last year as a full-time student and I didn't want to jeopardize my scholarship.  I have virtually no income this year and figured it would be best to do the conversion this year.  My question is, what are the Tax consequences given I have no income?  Should I transfer the full amount of 42K or would it be less costly to transfer 1/2 this year and then 1/2 next year?  I guess, I would like to know what are my taxes for each option?

Thanks for the help!

Answer
generally, you could convert close to or at tax free if you have no income -- but for the fact that you have 42k, which will cause you to be taxed on that full amount (depending upon deductions and credits - including possible college credits) you could convert at less than 15%.

but this is a MUCH more complicated set of discussions that are not best served by a free discussion board - i suggest you find a local cpa and or investment advisor to model your answers.  It might be advantageous to do half and half.

it might have been better to do some in 2013 too. when you say this is my last year, i presume you are graduating in may 2015?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa