Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/S-Corp Asset Sale

Question
Hello John,

Client is selling his business as an asset sale, goodwill, nothing else as an installment sale.  He is structured as an S-Corp and owns 100% of the stock.

My assumptions are the following:

1. He maintains 100% of the stock of the company until the installment sale has been completed.

2. He then must continue to file corporation tax returns until the installment sale has been completed.

Please let me know if my assumptions are correct.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

Answer
Jeff,

Thanks for your question.

You state that it is an asset sale. If this is truly the case, he will continue to own 100% of the stock of the company indefinitely.  He's not selling the stock, he is selling the assets.  

He will continue to file corporate tax returns as long as the instalment sale is in effect.  Once the last instalment is completed, he could then take action to dissolve or de-activate the company.  He may wish to file a final return with the IRS, but continue the corporate charter at the state level in order to keep others from using the name of the corporation.

Alternatively, to avoid filing corporate returns for a number of years, the note could be assigned to him personally.  This would be a part of the liquidation/dissolution plan for the corporation and treated as a distribution to him.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA