Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Taxing of Subsistence

Question
I receive untaxed subsistence from my employer , I live in Washington state and they have sent me to Oregon to work . My union contract allows me up to 175 dollars a day. I have been informed that if I receive subsistence for 52 consecutive I owe the irs taxes on this money ? My question is if I have a break in that period does it start over ?

Answer
Sean,

Thanks for your question.

The rule states that if you are on an assignment that is of indefinite duration or is expected to last more than 12 months, any travel expenses are not deductible. Likewise, any payment for such expenses from your employer are taxable.  Merely taking a break does not start it over, as the IRS considers it the same assignment.  Their position is that if the assignment lasts more than a year, you have changed your tax home and are living in OR, not WA.  

You also need to be aware of state income taxes in the state in which you work. You will be subject to tax on your OR earnings in OR.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA