Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Charitable Contributions - Mutual Funds

Question
John
I own a stock mutual fund, with dividends and capital gains reinvested. The distributions are generally declared at year's end, and I am responsible for the tax on them. If I were to donate my shares to a charity, do I avoid, as with ordinary stocks, the capital gains tax on them, and am I also subject to the 30% of AIG annual contribution limit, with carryover for the next 4 years?
Thanks.
DBRJ

Answer
Dave,

Thanks for your question.

In donating the mutual fund shares to a qualified charitable organization, you can take a deduction for the fair market value of the contribution, but you are limited to 30% of your AGI, as it is capital gain property. Any unused amount will carry forward for an additional four years.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA