Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Church giving pastor a van can it be considered income

Question
QUESTION: Hello
My church was given a van. The church wants to give the van to the pastor.  Our pastor does not receive a salary from church.  The church can't afford to insure the vehicle anymore so that is why they want to donate it to the pastor.  What is legal to do

ANSWER: Annette,

Thanks for your question.

The van would be taxable income to the pastor and a W-2 should be issued to him for the fair market value of the van.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: If the church gives it to anyone but the pastor does that person who receives it have to pay income tax?

Answer
If the church gives it to an employee or the family member of an employee,it is taxable income.  I realize you may not consider the pastor an employee, but under IRS rules he is performing services for the church, so the van would be taxable compensation.

If it is given to a non-employee, it would be a gift and not taxable.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA