Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Estate Taxes

Question
Dear Mr. Stancil:

My mom purchased a property in 1971 for $15,000.  When she died in 2001, it was worth $105,000.  Now, 13 years later, my two brothers and I (all equal beneficiaries of her estate) sold the property for $162,000.

1)  Is the costs basis for the house $105,000?
2)  Will the capital gain be distributed equally to each brother's k-1, or will the estate pay the capital gains tax from estate funds?

Thank you.
Robert

Answer
Robert,

Thanks for your question.

Your cost basis is the fair market value as of date of death.  The tax can be paid by the estate or the beneficiaries. It results in less tax if the beneficiaries pay the tax.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA