Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/CCarryover Strategy and Tax Consequences

Question
One mo' time
I am planning to make a gifts to my alma mater with common stocks I own upon my passing. If I were still alive, I would benefit from the deduction as a charitable gift on my Federal Income tax. However, having passed, there should only be a final Federal and State Income Tax on whatever income was received for the year. Credit for the donation would probably exceed the amount allowed for the year, and since there would be no future filings, carryover would be lost. However, if the securities were to be willed to my daughter, with the understanding that they were to be gifted to the school, would she not benefit with credit for the donation which could carryover for her for another four years?
Also, since inheritances are not Federally taxed – I don't know about States (Washington, New Hampshire, North Carolina?) - would this not avoid affecting her AGI?
Thanks.
DBRJ

Answer
Dave,

Thanks for your question.

Couple of issues.  If the contribution of the stock occurs after your death, it would not be deductible on your 1040, but on the Estate return or the Estate income Tax return.

You cannot will the property to your daughter and include a stipulation that she contribute it to the school, it would be treated as if you gave it directly to the school.

None of the three states you mention have an inheritance tax.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA