Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/CHurch helping others

Question
We have a family in our church that we have been helping with monetary gifts given by others to be given to the family in need. do we need to issue a 1099 or do they have to claim the money as income on their taxes? Thanks

Answer
Gary,

Thanks for your question.

The money is considered a gift, and therefore the church does not have any reporting responsibilities - no 1099 or other document.  It is not taxable income to the recipients.

However, I would add that there is one major exception. If those receiving the gifts are employees of the church, it would be reported on their W-2 and would be taxable income.  This would apply also if gift were given to a spouse or family member of the employee and would be treated as income to the employee.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA