You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Condo Assoc and Forms 1099


Hello, I've been recently elected as the Treasurer of a small condo complex of about 22 owners. I've learned that the condo assoc has not issued Forms 1099s to persons who have been paid for services performed (i.e. pool maintenance, painting). Should I go back and have them issued in prior years if records are available? Or just start with the current year (2014)? Also, are the condo owners considered an owner of the corporate entity and are they entitled to see tax returns and tax information as well as books and records? We have one owner who is making these types of requests. I would greatly appreciate any input or advice. Thank you.


Thanks for your question.

First, you do not have to issue a 1099 for services performed if the one providing the services is a business.  In other words, if I have John's Painting Co. and you hire me to paint the exterior of the condo units, you do not need to issue a 1099.  On the other hand, you hire Joe Smith who is does not really operate a business but does occasional odd jobs.  Since you are now dealing with an individual who does not operate a business, you would need to issue the 1099.
If any need to be issued, I would start with the current year.  It is unlikely you have a completed W-9 for these individuals, much less their SS number.

Second, In most states the financial and tax records are open to the owners of the condos, although the regulations can vary depending on the size of the complex.  Generally speaking, it is a good policy to be transparent in the financial records, so the owners know that you have nothing to hide.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Stancil, CPA


I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at


I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University

©2017 All rights reserved.