Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/early withrawal from roth IRA

Question
In 2011, 2012, and 2013 my wife and I deposited $27K into two Roth IRA accounts. - We got married in 2012 and filed taxes jointly for 2012 and 2013. - We removed all of the Roth IRA money (which had grown to $30k) for a first time home purchase in 2014. - Because the money was in the account for less than 5 years, the interest ($3k) does not fall under the special first time home-buyers exception and is subject to a 10% penalty/tax ($300). - However, I am unclear how to file taxes for this because... - There are two accounts, each with 11 different funds, and money was added to each fund at three different times. So, it's not a simple one buy one sell situation. How do I file this and can my usual online TaxAct handle it or do I need something else?

Answer
Jordan,

Thanks for your question.

After the end of the year, you will get some 1099-R forms from the trustee for your IRA accounts. Simply input the information from those forms and it should handle everything correctly.  You may have to manually make an adjustment for the amount of the penalty, it depends on how the 1099-R forms are completed.

I do not use TaxACT online, so I can't tell you if it will handle this situation or not.  Most likely, it will.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA