Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Hiring a lawyer when I sell my house

Question
Hello Mr. Stancil, First of all thank you in anticipation of your time. I reside in Virginia and will soon be selling a house I've owned in New York for many years. My question is two-fold.
1- Should I hire a NY based CPA or one in Virginia to deal with my Capital Gains Tax and return? I'm guessing Federal law is such that I can hire a CPA in Virginia to handle my Capital Gains issues and tax return from selling my NY house. Do you agree?
2- Should I hire a lawyer during the sale of said house and should I hire one locally where I reside in Virginia or one in NY?

Answer
Richard,

Thanks for your question.

A good CPA or Enrolled Agent should be able to handle your tax situation, regardless of where they are located. Since you are a resident of VA and the house is located in NY, you will have to report the sale as a NY non-resident as well as report it on your VA return.  VA will give you a credit for tax paid to NY.

Since the sale is of a house, the transaction is not usually very complex.  If you are dealing with a real estate agent, they could arrange for an attorney at the closing.  If, however, you feel the need for an attorney, I would use one in NY, as they would be more familiar with NY real estate laws.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA