Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Non-deductible IRA/Form 8606

Question
Dear John,
I just received an IRS notice for year 2012 in which my allowable IRA contribution for 2012 was decreased by $1,000. So that makes the $1,000 amount now non-deductible. My questions are:
1. This amount is already in the IRA account (from 2012). Do I/or should I have this amount distributed/converted to Roth (not sure if there's income limitations to doing this).
2. I've already filed my 2013 return. Do I need to amend the return to include form 8606 for the non-deductible amount of $1,000, or can form 8606 be filed by itself at any time?
3. If I leave the non-deductible amount of $1,000 in the IRA account, will I need to file form 8606 every year even if I don't have additional non-deductible contributions in those years?
4. Any other advice you can give on this issue would be very valuable!
Thank you very much for your time,
Kate

Answer
Kate,

Thanks for your question.

1. You could convert the amount to a Roth.  I, personally, am a big fan of Roth accounts, so it is something I would definitely recommend.  The income limitations were removed.  Before 2010, there was a $100,000 income limitation. The amount is already non-deductible.  Convert to a Roth and the earnings become non taxable.

2. You don't need to file an amended return, just file the 8606 separately.

3. Yes, that's the bad part about having non-deductible contributions, you have to file the 8606 every year.

4. Converting the amount to a Roth will save you money in the long run not to mention the hassle of keeping up with filing an 8606 every year.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA