Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/C Corporation non-filing


Your Question:

I had a "C" corporation and had not filed any state or federal tax returns for several years. The corporation was operating at a loss, and would have reflected that loss each year if I had filed. My accountant requested an extension each year, but we never filed, and never heard from the state or feds. Then, in April, 2013, my bank informed me that my corporation had been dissolved in Feb. 2013 (I had never been notified). I continued doing work under a different corporation. My question is if I can be held accountable for not having filed for about 10 years, and is it a crime, and should I file the returns for those years and just leave the corporation dissolved.

Your email address:  

Hi Bill, I would recommend filing both federal and state returns for your "C" corp as the statute of limitations remains opened indefinitely and it's a possibility that you can be assessed tax on the gross revenue of your company (without factoring in expenses). Even with the loss, there are late filing penalties on a federal level and possibly on a state level (depending on the state). Thus, I would highly recommend filing from a protective standpoint to ensure that your operating loss is recorded and remove the risk of future issues with the IRS or locally on a state level.

All the best,

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Randall Brody, EA, MBA, CCP


Tax Samaritan is a boutique firm specializing in the preparation of taxes and the resolution of tax problems for Americans living abroad, as well as the unique tax issues that apply to taxpayers that are gamblers, teachers, nurses and military.


Get Expert U.S. Tax Preparation Wherever You Live We Built Our Company By Helping People With Their Tax And Financial Goals We can make a difference for you too! Tax Samaritan is a highly specialized boutique firm of Enrolled Agents providing tax solutions and wealth management for U.S. taxpayers with a special focus on assisting Americans living abroad. We strive to make U.S. tax preparation both accessible and easy for our clients. If you’re a U.S. citizen and live abroad, it’s likely that you still need to file a U.S. tax return and we can help make this an easy process for you. Our tax and financial services are very straightforward. We want to help solve your tax and financial issues and enhance your financial situation.

National Association of Enrolled Agents, National Association of Tax Professionals

Enrolled Agent (EA) Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) University of Phoenix: Masters of Business AdministrationCalifornia State University, East Bay: Bachelors of Science, Finance.

Past/Present Clients
We have served thousands of clients worldwide in the last 20+ years.

©2017 All rights reserved.