Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Capital gains taxes

Question
Sir,
I am on SSD, earning $9,600 per annum. That is my sole income. If I were to be given some long term stocks to sell and incur a capital gain of $50,00 would i have any tax liability?
I am in the zero percent tax bracket and understand that capital gains in that bracket are not taxable.

Would the $50k still have to appear on a tax return or is my tax liability still limited to the original $9,600?

Thank you so very much for your time.

Answer
Alex,

Thanks for your question.

You would owe taxes on the gain to the extent your marginal tax bracket exceeded 15%.  For a single person, the 15% bracket starts at 36,900 of taxable income.  After the standard deduction and personal exemption, that would leave you with a taxable income of #13,050, which would be taxed at 15%

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA