Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/capital loss rollover question

If I sell my condo at a -$100k loss in 2014, and assume I'm unable to use that -$100k capital loss towards my 2014 tax return, am I able to roll over that -$100k capital loss and apply it towards my 2015 tax return?

In other words, if I end up having a +$100k capital gains in 2015 (from the sale of another real estate property of mine), can I use my -$100k capital loss that I suffered in 2014 (from the sale of the condo) to wipe out the +$100k capital gain that I have in 2015, in terms of lowering my tax liability on my 2015 tax return?

Thanks for your question.

Each year you can apply the loss carryforward to any capital gains in that year, plus $3,000.  The $3,000 should be applied even if you can't use it in that particular year. This will carryforward until used up and expires only upon the death of the taxpayer.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University