Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Church

Question
The IRS tax guide for churches, states that it must have a distinct legal existence.  I am not sure what this means.  Does it have to be incorporated?  Also, must the pastor be an ordained minister?

Also, we live in the state of PA,  does the state of PA require a church to be incorporated?

Thank you

Answer
Peggy,

Thanks for your question.

If you are looking at IRS Publication 1828, you probably see the IRS list of 14 factors that are characteristic of a church, distinct legal existence and ordained clergy being two of these factors.  A church does not have to meet all 14 requirements, but these factors are all considered in the determination. So it is a balancing act, considering all these factors, does it appear to be a church?

The requirement to form a corporation is one of the more controversial ones, as some contend that the church is ordained by God and is not created by the state.  As a result, you aren't likely to run into problems if you are not incorporated.

On the ordination issue, the IRS is not going to tells church who can and cannot be a minister.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil,CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA