Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/depreciation

Question
I rent out movie props (old phones, radios, etc.) to film makers.
How would I depreciate them. Can I list them as a whole lot or do I have to individually depreciate each item. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Answer
Sennie,

Thanks for your question.

It would be more simple if you depreciated then individually. That way, if an asset was retired, lost, or whatever before the end of its depreciable life, you would have much less effort trying to determine the book value of the retired asset.  You should use (for tax purposes) MACRS depreciation, utilizing the proper class life for each asset.

This link is to the IRS publication on Depreciation, covering cost basis, class life (page 32), special depreciation allowances, and other relevant issues related to depreciation.  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p946.pdf  I think you will find it useful, if you have any questions about it, send me another question.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA