Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Moving Deduction

Hi John,

I am moving from Dallas, Texas to Honolulu.  I understand I can deduct the cost of shipping my dog.  Hawaii requires dogs to have specific treatment and documentation including a $250.00 Rabies Titer from Kanas State Lab.  Of course, the rabies shots we have to have anyway, but the titer is only because we are moving.  Is that expense deductible?

Also, I have to buy a shipping crate.  Is that deductible?

Thank you!

Thanks for your question.

The shipping crate, as well as the cost of shipping your dog, is deductible.  However, the rabies titer is not deductible.  About 1998, the IRS severely restricted what's is deductible.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA

I can answer questions on personal income taxes, partnerships, and some corporate income taxes. I can deal with some state tax questions. Limited gift and estate tax questions. I am also familiar with ministerial and church tax reporting issues. I am Professor Emeritus at Florida Southern College. Sales taxes and property taxes are state and local issues so I am not likely be be able to give you an in depth answer on those types of taxes. I have maintained a CPA practice, specializing in tax, for over 35 years. I am a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals, The Florida Insititute of CPA's, The NCPE Fellowship. In addition I am a Certified Mentor for SCORE. Visit my website at I also offer seminars and consultations to churches and clergy on their tax issues at Also visit my blog, I am listed on Tax Connections at Prepare and file your own taxes at

I hold a doctorate in Accounting, and am a CPA. My certifications of CIA, CFM, and CMA are inactive. I passed all certification examinations on the first attempt, and received honorable mention for my scores on the CIA exam. I have operated a CPA firm for over 37 years and have taught accounting and tax at the college level for over 35 years.

FICPA, NATP, NCPE Fellowship, Lakeland Business Leaders

The CPA Journal, Florida CPA Today, Green Consumer, Green Business, Global Sustainability as a Business Imperative, Palmetto Review, NATP TaxPro Quarterly, Mustang Journal of Finance and Accounting.

DBA University of Memphis MBA University of Georgia BS in Accounting Mars Hill University