You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Personal vs Business miles reporting


I am about to get a company vehicle and have been told by my employer that it can be used for personal use.I am a construction Superintendent and drive to a construction site from my home either on a daily bases or at least twice a week depending on how far away it is.These job sites are not permanent but can last from 6 month up to 18 month in length.Do I need to claim the mileage back and forth to this Temporary  job site as personal or business miles?

one easy way if you are not an "officer" or other owner or partner..

is the commuting method - you can just take a fixed number per day. the fixed amount is $3. per day

this is the least expensive way

250 days (5 days a week x 50 weeks)  x $3 is only $750 of income added to your w2... total cost to you is about 20-25% or $200!  plus 7% social security or another $75ish...  all in

versus all the other reporting and paperwork requirements.

this is simple, clean and to the point

send private message if your payroll people dont know about this.

id be happy to help

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.