Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Rental Property Capitial Gain

Question
I exchanged a rental property, 1031 in 2008, to another rental in a different state. The tax on the gain at that time, 2008, was 25,000.  
Currently, if I sell now 2014, my accountant has estimated the tax on the gain at 60,000.  

If I move into the property, and later sell, lets say living there 5 years and then sale, would I then escape the gain, or a percentage of it?

If I live in the property for the remainder of my life, would my heirs owe the gain upon my death?

Thanks in advance

Answer
reasonably complicated calculation, but you could possibly "cleanse" all the gains if you live in a property 2 of the last five as your principal residence (code sec 121) but the basis and such carries over with some of the rental taint.. now (used to be you could cleanse all the gains).  

the tax issue is not only amount, but character.. capital gain and/or recapture of depreciation at ordinary rates..  

you also have state tax issues.  to be quite honest.

if you overall estate is less than the then estate tax exemption (now $5.m + but expected to be reduced; if you have other significant assets and are over 60, a discussion with a good estate lawyer and cpa would be warranted).  but, generally, yes your heirs could escape income and estate tax on the inheritance of a principal residence - regardless of how long you live in it or if you ever live in it again (if you moved to yet another state and kept renting the property, and passed.. then leaving the property to your heirs, they would take that property at your date of death valuation and pay no income or estate tax.

lots of fun stuff..  avoiding 60k is a powerful reason to make sure you structure your affairs correctly.  but dont let the tax tail wag the dog - do proper planning and document it now

if you want to chat more... send a new message and mark it private and we can talk off line

patrick

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa