Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Reporting Tax on Stocks Purchase/Sales

Question
Hi! My question is on stocks purchases.  My husband and I are trying stocks, short terms buying/selling, maybe keeping some stocks as short as a couple of weeks. Nothing large, we are just planning on keeping $30k in Ameritrade.  A few years ago, we tried once, and when tax season came, it was a bit painful, seems like we had to report every purchase/sales, calculating and reporting the minor differences on each stock.  Is that correct?  Say if each month we have a few transactions, when it's tax season, we'll have to have kept records on every transaction and report them all individually on our filing?

Answer
Shelley,

Thanks for your question.

Yes, that is correct.  However, the IRS will now allow you to attach the broker's conforming statement to your return and enter the summary amounts on Form 8949, transferred to Schedule D.  If you are e-filing, your software program should be able to handle this by treating the broker's statement to a fileable PDF document.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA