Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/stock sales

Question
I live in NY. I bought stock in 2001 for companies that shut down soon after. I lost about 50,000.00.
I never filed for taxes to see if i can gain some of my money. Is it too late to do to file? What form can I use?
One of the stocks still appears on my portfolio with a $0.01 per share. does this mean I still own it and cannot file until sold?
Thank you for your answer in advance.

Answer
Mona,

Thanks for your question.

Technically, you should have taken the losses when the stocks became worthless. If that happened in the last three years (which does not appear to be the case) you can file an amended return for that year.  If you did not learn of their worthlessness at the time, you can file when you learned they were worthless.

The one cent value is probably a nominal amount that is listed but the stock is not likely trading with no likelihood that it will ever have value.  Additionally, you can't sell the stock because the commissions would be more than the proceeds.  Take the loss.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA